Sunday, March 10, 2024

Birding in Mangala Jodi


Exploring Mangala Jodi wetlands on the boat and watching almost 200 species of birds all in one area has been the most rewarding experience of my life! 


Thanks to Sai who while early planning itself insisted that I include Mangala Jodi in my itinerary. I wasn’t expecting too much.


I have been to many such boating and birding experiences in Kerala to Periyar and Kumarakom which were not so rewarding. Especially Kumarakom was actually disappointing as it was totally empty. In Karnataka I have been to Ranganathittu which was good. Karnala is in sad state. Navi Mumbai for solely Flamingoes in Maharashtra yet Mangala Jodi is unmatched.


We drove to Mangala Jodi wetlands point where they conduct this boating birding experience. The boat can accommodate about 10 people. We were just 2 persons so at first I found the fee expensive but after the experience I can say every paisa was vasool. Each boat gets a guide a reference book on birds and binoculars.


It is the first time I saw so many species of birds. The funny thing was the guide kept saying “More hen” they were as colorful as peacocks. Later I found out on the net that he was saying “Moor hen” 😆😆

Watching birds in their natural habit, diving down to catch a worm or fish was delightful. Taking flights that were fancy and we watched in awe. We saw pairs of birds that were inseparable and they were not love birds 😃 

I was lucky to be in season for watching the migratory birds. We met many photographers there trying to make best of the season. 


This video is very special for me as I was busy enjoying myself when Sai very lovingly captured this incredible memory for me to keep.



Also read about our drive thru rural Odisha and 

Breakfast under ₹50

No comments: